Writing is my passion but I’m blessed to also enjoy working with my hands. It turns out that those two hobbies are more compatible than I had ever imagined. Over the last several months I have learned that to be a successful writer I have to build a solid platform.
Steps for Building a Platform
1. Clear out some space. Anyone that has built anything knows that you have to have a place to build. Sometimes this means clearing out the shed so that you have room to build and sometimes it means clearing out your schedule so that you can get the building done. What do you need to clear out so that you can make your writing a success?
2. Make a plan. Never, never, never start building without a plan in place. You are just asking for trouble. Either you run out of supplies or money or you end up having to take it all down and start over. What are your plans for your writing future?
3. Start with the foundation. Getting the foundation right from the beginning is essential to avoiding problems as you go along with the building and down the road after the structure is complete. It is better to tear down a faulty foundation and start again than to try to fix the problems created from that foundation. What is your writing foundation (the passion and purpose that drives your writing)?
4. Follow the directions (but be flexible). The plans are essential but they are not always exactly right. There will be times when changes or adjustments have to be made. How flexible are you right now in your writing career and what changes do you need to make to be able to have the flexibility necessary for success?
5. Put a roof on the project. The roof is protecting the project. The rest of the work does not have to be completed for the roof to do its job. What have you put in place to protect your writing future?
6. Stay on the task until it is completed. The house up the road has been “in process” since we first purchased our own property over 15 years ago. Each time we go by we notice a little more progress towards completion. Slow and steady will ultimately get you across the finish line. What are you doing right now (or can you do) to help you stay persistent in the pursuit of your dreams?
Building a platform for your writing career is not an overnight process. It will take planning, persistence, determination and consistency. Anyone can build a platform and once you build it they will come.