Freelance writing is not for everyone, but it is possible for anyone to be a freelance writer. It may sound like a contradiction, but it isn’t really. Like any self employment opportunity, becoming a freelance writer takes some specific gift, talents and personality traits that might not be necessary when working in a salary position for an employer.
Characteristics a Freelance Writer will Need
1. Being budget minded is important to being a successful freelance writer. It is not possible to always know when the next paycheck will come in even if you do have a month full of deadlines. Working as a freelance writer sometimes means being paid weeks, months or even years after the work is completed.
2. A freelance writer has to be self motivated. No boss is going to be monitoring when you clock in to write so if you aren’t self motivated as a freelancer then you will struggle to meet your deadlines and make ends meet.
3. Organization is a valuable tool for a freelance writer. Failure to keep up with deadlines, to spread out work and to maintain orderly invoices will mean that freelance work is lost, writing becomes overwhelming – on some days – and empty on others and money gets lost and never found. Keeping good records of all your freelance work is made possible by working out an organized system.
4. A think skin is the only way to survive a freelance writing career. Not everyone will like everything you create as a freelancer and many of them will be happy to tell even the most experienced freelance writer just how bad your writing is to them. A freelance writer will have to endure rejections, critics and especially the relatives.
5. Working from home is a challenge for most anyone and being a freelance writer from home is not exempt from that challenge. Being able to work with a little chaos is always a strong plus for becoming a freelance writer. It can help your concentration to have a separate office for your freelance writing (or a good pair of noise reduction headphones).
The only thing that is required to become a successful freelance writer is the ability and desire to write. After that, the characteristics of any successful self employed individual are the same qualities you will find the successful freelancer. Not every would enjoy a life as a freelance writer, but with the right combinations of qualities and traits anyone can become a successful freelance writer.