Writing may be a dream that you have always pursued or a passion that you have only recently uncovered. No matter where you are in your freelance writing journey there are some easy steps that can help you uncover your way to freelance writing success.
10 Steps for Freelance Writers
- 1. Write – write every chance that you get. It is easy to make excuses about when not to write but it is important that you make writing a priority in your day.
2. Outline – for those times when you can’t write take some time to jot down some outlines. They will make writing easier when you have time in your schedule for your freelance writing.
3. Read – read articles about writing. Read magazines in your niche. Read other blogs and websites. Reading will help spark your creative spirit and a give you more insight into what is hot (as well as what is not).
4. Listen – great ideas for stories and articles are often uncovered in the elevator, the store check out line and many other unexpected places.
5. Watch – take time out when you are running errands, taking a break or just out of the house to watch the people around you. The things that you see can often be the next great story idea.
6. Use – make your own life experiences into story ideas. The way that you handles the recent wreck that you were in or the things you went through trying to replace the wrecked vehicle can both make a great article or a series of posts.
7. Ask – talk to others in the freelance writing field. Ask for tips that will help specifically with your situation (making the switch to full time freelance or working at home with young children) and write down the things that you learn.
8. Teach – show others the things that you are learning. Teaching pushes you to be better at what you do.
9. Study – take classes and attend conferences to improve on your skills and techniques. An added benefit is that you often make connections that would otherwise be missed.
10. Review – take time to review the writing that you did in the past. Use the old writing to create new material or just make notes of those directions that you have improved on along your path of freelance writing.
Becoming a successful freelance writing is a process. Each step that you take will move you along the path. Growing as a writer is an essential part of freelance writing success.