It seems that every time I click on a blogging website I learn something new – or sometimes something opposite of what I thought I knew. Getting the secrets to successful blogging is not always easy, but here are some things I have recently learned that might help you along your blogging journey.
Secrets to Successful Blogging
- 1. Write about something that others are interested in reading (i.e. catch the wave of a recent trend). It doesn’t matter how often you are blogging or how eloquent the posts are if no one is reading what you write. And, getting on a popular band wagon may just be the boost you need to propel your website to the top of the search engines. I recently purchased domain names around the 912 Project started by Glenn Beck. My idea is to use these sites to boost another site that I’m working on that is focused on the GOOD news of the day!
2. Create a blog that you are passionate about (or that you enjoy to some extent or another). If you get burned out on the subject then it will show on your blog. Either your blogging posts will drop in quality or quantity or both. None of those situations are good for building your blog.
3. Spread the word. Posting your articles (or, even better, a VERSION of your articles) on the free websites around the internet is a great way to get the word out about your blogs. You will need to spend some time re-writing your articles slightly so that they are different from the version from the one that you posted on your blog. This makes the search engines move your post up in page rank. Posting the same article that is on your blog may get you readers, but the search engines will NOT pay attention.
4. Include a link to your blog at the top of the articles when you place them on the free article sites. Many websites will only include PART of the article and that part may not include the author block at the bottom that links back to your blog. Adding a link to the top will help insure that your blog gets the traffic from the effort that you put into the article.
5. Write your keyword and phrases in bold at least once in the blog. The search engines give more weight to the bold print than to regular print.
It seems that the more I learn then the more I need to learn – but isn’t that the truth with all writing. My goal is to put each new tip and suggestion into my blog as I learn them and then I begin to balance what works for me and what doesn’t in order to find the best way to make the most of my blogs.