Increasing income from freelance writing can usually only happen one of two ways. You can get paid more for the writing that you are doing or you can do more writing in the time that you currently use for your freelance writing career.
Not everyone is comfortable about asking for more money. Even those that are willing to ask may run the risk of pricing themselves right out of the market. You have to be flexible when it comes to making money as a freelance writer and you have to negotiate the pay.
The one thing that you have complete control over is the amount of writing that you do in any given hour. The more articles that you can complete then the more your “hourly wage” will be.
Tips for Writing Faster
• Write what you know – the less research that is required for an article then the easier it will be for you to get that article on paper. Choose subjects that you are comfortable and experienced writing about and you will be able to zip right through them.
• Write more than one article – once you do the research use it as much as you can. Write a long article, a short article and a blog post all from the same material. Be sure that each piece is unique in wording even if some of the thoughts are the same.
• Create an outline – having five to ten points that you want to cover will help you get your word count, write faster and make it easier to create additional pieces from the same material.
• Edit AFTER the piece is completed – trying to edit while you write will hinder the writing process. Let the writing pour out uncensored and then go back and fix the grammar and the spelling. Be sure to take the time to read the article out loud because the grammar programs do NOT catch it all.
• Remove the distractions – turn off your phones, the IM programs, the email notices and anything else that might cause you to look away from your writing. Focus in on just the words in front of you for specific period of time (like one hour) and you may be shocked at how much writing you actually get done when you are focused.
Making money as a freelance writer can be easy if you write what you know and you write it fast. The goal is to build up your freelance writing income to a sustainable per hour amount. You can do that by increasing your pay per article but you can also do it by increasing the number of articles you complete per hour.