I quit trying to sell my books yesterday. I discovered that even with all of my efforts, my books sold no more than those times when I made no effort – so why bother.
But this “quit selling” does not mean what you think it means – that is my nod to the “Princess Bride.”
I know that what I write is of value to some people – even if it is just me in that moment of writing. I get that the words I share will be a blessing – because nothing sent out in prayer will return void. I also know that your time is valuable – and you do not need to hear me shouting out the benefits of buying my books (especially if you already have that book).
The other day I sat down and made my design for taking over the world (expect more pop culture references before I am done) – and I’ll be sharing a little more about that in an upcoming blog post. I recognized that I can hope you will buy my book, and I can beg you to buy my book, and I can work out marketing details for you to buy my book . . . or I can just keep writing with the understanding that when something strikes your fancy then you will follow through.
My Plans for Not Selling My Book
- - I will share excepts from the books on the blog and through social media. I will include a link – but I will also be certain to create posts that can stand alone. #makingmyownway
- I will continue to create books that have value to the readers – fiction that entertains or inspires; non-fiction that grows hope, encouragement and inspiration. Because if you write it then they will buy. Bonus points to you who guess that reference.
- I will attend selling events (fairs, expos, shows) with my books, but I will also bring along the crafts those books are inspiring (plaques, storage boxes, prints). I will be happy to let you buy a book and will even sell you a book, but I will not chase you down and try to get you to buy the book.
- I will be honored to come and speak with your group or organization about the tips and ideas in the books (the importance of relationships, training a husband, finding your unique place and purpose). I will be happy to come and speak at your conference or event about the journey to hope or living out my dream as a writer. We can also work together to come up with a great program specific to your needs.
- I will be happy to be a part of your fair, show, or expo.
So yes – I will still have my books for sale – you can stop worrying ( I could hear the gasps of concern all the way out here). After all, I would be crazy if I did not say that “I want you to want me” or to at least want to buy my books and support the journey of Growing HOPE. Building a successful writing and speaking career requires that desire. I just plan to focus on sharing with you and growing our relationship and not on making sure you have the latest copy of my family friendly adventure, Mystery Rock.