The last 12 months I have been the sole provider for our family. My husband has been taking time to evaluate his life, sit with his family and reconnect with the world (heâ€™s been a public school teacher). The money situation hasnâ€™t been perfect, but we havenâ€™t been worried either.
Yesterday I realized that I was writing everything based on a paycheck â€“ except this blog that is. And that is probably the main reason that this blog hasnâ€™t been any more consistent. The paycheck has been the driving force.
This morning I woke up with a whole new attitude. Even the â€œpaidâ€ writing can be joyful. It comes back to the attitude situation. If I have the right attitude then all of my writing will be creative and full of life. But I was also determined to make my creative writing a priority.
1. Start the day with the blogs â€“ I can write in my own, read others or just see what is going on around the internet. My first hour of the day is for catching up.
2. Tackle the easy stuff next â€“ during the morning I am helping the boys with school. Trying to do an article that is intense or difficult will only frustrate me and them. Instead I will use that time to research or write the lighter stuff on my schedule.
3. Take one hour to write on my novel â€“ and this has to be new writing. I have scheduled time for editing (after the novel is complete) at a different time of the day.
4. Continuing education â€“ thirty minutes a day should be enough for me to take a class or course to advance one area of my writing.
5. Get my second wind â€“ just before dinner, when everyone else is out of the house on most days (or at least away doing their own projects) I need to tackle some of the heavier stuff.
6. Call it a day â€“ I will stop working at 4:30 pm. If I donâ€™t set limits then I will â€œworkâ€ all hours of the day and still not get anything done.
Everything didnâ€™t go as planned today, but Iâ€™m sticking pretty close to the schedule. I know that by having certain things that need to be done at certain times I am getting more accomplished. If I let myself mess around then I will mess around all day and not have a thing to show for it.
With my new schedule in place, with creative writing getting an outlet and with my new attitude, I will be able to have more joy about all of my writing!