It seems easy to make the decision that focuses on self. It is the natural thing to do. But one look at the life of a person that lives that way proves that living for self is not an easier life – in some ways it becomes more complicated.
I am determined to live a life that reflects the Proverbs 31 woman. There are some days that I manage to reflect better than others. And there are some days that I should just go to bed and start again. But I am trying.
1. Make a specific choice to live one aspect of your life differently. Write that commitment down as a prayer or a pledge to God and then repeat it several times each day. Keep it in the positive (the I wills) and avoid any negatives (I won’ts).
2. Start your day with a word with God. Give God thanks for the day that lies ahead. Say a prayer for your family. It doesn’t have to be a long winded prayer, just a little something that gets you focused for the day.
3. Make a point to do just one more thing before you take that break or quit for the day. Changing behavior is like training for a marathon. You’ll never get there if you aren’t willing to push yourself beyond where you were yesterday.
4. Smile. Genuine smiles make you feel better and also make the people around you feel better.
5. Have a plan. Know what you need to accomplish for the day and how much time it will take. Leave time in each day for unexpected events and spontaneous games with the kids.
6. Offer to help others. Be specific about what you want to do (can I cook a meal for you when the baby comes?). And do the things that you can do not that you feel obligated to do or that you think will look good.
7. Make some money. You have gifts and talents that no other person has, and there is someone who is willing to pay you for that. Find out what it is that you love to do and that you do well and then find people to pay you to do it.
Living a Proverbs 31 life required changes and sacrifices, but it is just as easy as living a life for self. It is something that I have to work on each and every day, but it is a race worth running.