Sometimes finding a new idea for your blog posts can be a challenge. If you have written a blog for any amount of time then you feel like you have written on the subject you are about to address. Or maybe you read the same idea on another post. Someone has written about it, that is for certain. After all, there is nothing new under the sun.
It is okay if you have written on the topic before. It is okay if you read the same topic on another blog (or in a magazine while waiting at the appointment you had this morning). The ideas that strike your heart and drive your passion will be repeated in what you write. Just continue to put your unique spin on the idea and you will create a story that only you can tell.
Places to Find Ideas for Blog Posts
1. Share what is on your mind. Not long ago I had a bad experience at a chain restaurant. I felt the need to share my experience. At the same time, I wanted to make it more than just a rant. I took what I was thinking and then made it relevant to my website. Be willing to share your experiences, but always thing about how it will benefit the people that invest their time in your blog.
2. Write what you read. Visit another blog and the cover their topic with your own twist. Be sure to give create to the blog that inspired your post. You can also use news stories, magazine headlines or even the books that you read. I enjoy doing a “Top Ten Things I Learned” post on books that I recommend to others.
3. Start with a definition of one word and let that word be the focus for the entire post. Choose a word that has an interesting pronunciation or that is often misunderstood (or misused). Learning more about a word can create inspiration for using other words.
4. Change genres. If you normally write serious essays, why not try your hand at a fun poem or flash fiction. Do something a little unexpected and unusually that will offer an entertainment factor to your readers.
5. Create a challenge. We all need a little help moving down that path to where we want to be. Creating a challenge for your readers that has a connection to your blog can be just what someone needs to take that next step. Be sure you have some prizes waiting at the finish line for that that actively participate.
Look around and find something that you can write about. Maybe the material you create from that first inspiration never makes it to the website. But writing something will help you find your way the blog post that you want for you website and for your readers.