Saving your money doesn’t mean avoiding fun and excitement. There are plenty of things that you can do (yes with a family) that will cost you little or no money.
Simple and Inexpensive Family Fun
- Rent a movie FROM THE LIBRARY. It’s free and often if they don’t have the movie you are looking for you can request it and they will call you when they get it in.
- Go on a hike. Some of the State Parks or National Parks even offer free guided tours through the attractions.
- Tour a local plant or factory. There is an ice cream factory near our home that gives tours for almost nothing. There is also a genuine blacksmith that gives tours for free. Our family has toured goat farms, fire stations, and museums, all for the low, low cost of FREE!
- If your child shows an interest, call and ask. Many businesses will be glad to give a tour (although you might have to get some friends to go along so you have a large enough group). Call the local newspaper, television station, or radio station. It will probably be just as exciting for the adults as it is for the kids.
- Check out the local festivals. There are literally thousands of these things going on all the time: Harvest festivals, fiddle festivals, strawberry (or other fruity) festivals, winter festivals, spring festivals, renaissance festivals, and even a poke salad festival. Many of them are free and offer activities that range from acting performances to hands-on treats for the kids. Your local chamber of commerce (or a quick search online (should offer you endless possibilities for your weekends).
When the money gets tight, or even if it’s just the money holder ;), there are still plenty of things that can be done to entertain the family. Take some time to investigate all the free offerings that are available in your community.