Several years back, I was challenged by my Facebook friend, Dana, to choose a theme word for the upcoming year. Each year since, I have continued on with that challenge. Each year since, I have added on to that challenge. (themes and focuses for 2014 and 2015)
It has grown up into my massive four-foot by four-foot White Board of World Domination.
Let me pause to give a shout out to the guys at Lowe’s who helped me pick out the 8 ft board I am using as my white board and then they used their awesome wall mounted saw to cut it to my exact specifications. In all it cost me $16.00 to have this canvas for plotting my journey.
My White Board of World Domination includes my focus word always as the foundation. This year I added a motto to the top – I AM Worth It. I think I may need to spend more time in the office so that I can see that phrase on a regular basis. Better yet, I may add that to the front of my Focus Folder – my portable version of the White Board of World Domination. That way the reminder that I AM Worth It will be with me in the home office and in the away office.
I break down my year into parts – why I’m doing it, what I’m doing, and how I’m doing it.
Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counselors they are established. Proverbs 15:22
This year – the why is simple. I AM worth reaching my dreams. My what is broken down into work, writing, stewardship, and health. Each of those four categories has a target for the year – an end place I want to get. My now is broken down even further into daily tasks, weekly tasks, and monthly tasks.
I talked the other day about how I have to make the most of where I am. Lately, I have been waiting for the most to show up. I have been waiting for that right person to call with the right offer so that things would be right in my world.
I didn’t realize it. I thought I was doing what I needed to do. I thought I was taking action. It was a shock to discover just how off target I had become. My White Board of World Domination for 2016 was impressive. It had details upon details . . . so many in fact that I got lost in them.
2017 will be the year of keeping it simple.
Simple Steps to Keep it Simple
- Write it down. The best way to keep up with where I am going is to keep a record.
- Find what works. I LOVE my White Board of World Domination – mainly because I like using the phrase White Board of World Domination – but it is not easy making it work on the go. I uploaded a couple of apps to help me keep a record and stay on task.
- Use what works. It matters little how awesome the tool is if I leave it locked in the toolbox. I have to use it to make it work.
- Keep reviewing. I look at what gets accomplished each day and each week so that I know where to adjust or regroup before it’s too late.
- One day at a time – no, one STEP at a time. It will not happen all at once. It is a line upon line and precept upon precept proposition.
I AM worth it. I am worth the investment. I am worth the effort. I am worth the focus. If I continue to remember I am worth it and I continue to work the plan to make it a reality then I will reach my BIG DREAM goals.
It is that simple.
The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD . . . Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:1 & 3
We like to take things and make them so complicated and convoluted that nobody can figure out what to do.
It is simple. We just have to make a plan that works for us and then we have to work that plan. What’s your plan? Share your thoughts and your links in the comments below.