Several years back I was challenged by my Facebook friend, Dana, to choose a theme word for the upcoming year. Each year since, I have continued on with that challenge. Each year since, I have added on to that challenge. (themes and focuses for 2014 and 2015)
It has grown up into my massive four foot by four foot White Board of World Domination.
Let me pause to give a shout out to the guys at Lowe’s who helped me pick out the 8 ft board I am using as my white board and then they used their awesome wall mounted saw to cut it to my exact specifications. In all it cost me $16.00 to have this canvas for plotting my journey.
My White Board of World Domination includes my focus word always as the foundation. This year I added a motto to the top – I AM Worth It. I think I may need to spend more time in the office so that I can see that phrase on a regular basis. Better yet, I may add that to the front of my Focus Folder – my portable version of the White Board of World Domination. That way the reminder that I AM Worth It will be with me in the home office and in the away office.
I break down my year into parts – why I’m doing it, what I’m doing, and how I’m doing it.
Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counselors they are established. Proverbs 15:22
This year – the why is simple. I AM worth reaching my dreams. My what is broken down into work, writing, stewardship, and health. Each of those four categories has a target for the year – an end place I want to get. My now is broken down even further into daily tasks, weekly tasks, and monthly tasks.
I talked the other day about how I have to make the most of where I am. Lately, I have been waiting for the most to show up. I have been waiting for that right person to call with the right offer so that things would be right in my world.
I didn’t realize it. I thought I was doing what I needed to do. I thought I was taking action. It was a shock to discover just how off target I had become. My White Board of World Domination for 2016 was impressive. It had details upon details . . . so many in fact that I got lost in them.
2017 will be the year of keeping it simple.
Simple Steps to Keep it Simple
1. Write it down. The best way to keep up with where I am going is to keep a record.
2. Fine what works. I LOVE my White Board of World Domination – mainly because I like using the phrase White Board of World Domination – but it is not easy making it work on the go. I uploaded a couple of apps to help me keep a record and stay on task.
3. Use what works. It matters little how awesome the tool is if I leave it locked in the tool box. I have to use it to make it work.
4. Keep reviewing. I look at what gets accomplished each day and each week so that I know where to adjust or regroup before it’s too late.
5. One day at a time – no, one STEP at a time. It will not happen all at once. It is a line upon line and precept upon precept proposition.
I AM worth it. I am worth the investment. I am worth the effort. I am worth the focus. If I continue to remember I am worth it and I continue to work the plan to make it a reality then I will reach my BIG DREAM goals.
It is that simple.
The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD . . . Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:1 & 3
We like to take things and make them so complicated and convoluted that nobody can figure out what to do.
It is simple. We just have to make a plan that works for us and then we have to work that plan. What’s your plan? Share your thoughts and your links in the comments below.