Choose to be authentically you because you are the only you that you can be. You will waste your energy trying to be someone else. You will exhaust yourself trying to do it like someone else. You will exasperate yourself trying to copy someone else’s pattern. Be you.
Daily Inspiration and Encouragement
January 27 , 2020
Moment of HOPE
How to Become Authentically You
There can be only one . . . only one you that is – and for that matter only one of him, or her, or that other person over there.
In other words, we are all unique. Because we are all unique, there can be only one. The simple truth to unlocking your success lies in embracing the uniqueness of you.
I woke up the other morning bombarded with images and reminders of how people valued that other person’s stories. I determined to know the real person inside the stories (or the person I suspected hid behind the curtain). I needed to know what gave the other person the right to share the way that other person was sharing. I needed to know why people valued the other person’s stories.
I began thinking about how to replicate what that other person had been doing so that I could reap the success that other person had acquired.
Fortunately, I was stopped from chasing yet another squirrel down yet another rabbit hole when mom duties demanded my focus.
By the time I had returned to work, I realized the trap I had almost fallen into.
It doesn’t matter what that other person does or doesn’t do. It doesn’t matter what that other person should do. It doesn’t even matter if that other person reveals the true person inside.
That’s not my place – of that I am certain. I have to look in the mirror, face the person in the mirror and strive each day to make the person in the mirror the best me I can become.
It is simple. But it is also easy to become distracted by shiny object syndrome, squirrels, and other people.
Focused on the Authentic You
You have the power to be the best you. Each choice you make will either move you close to the authentic you or move you away from the authentic you. But the choice will always be yours.
- Invest in knowing who you are. Get to know and understand the unique qualities woven together to craft you. Learn more about your design and your place in purpose. The more you know you the harder it will be to be distracted by those other things.
- Take a pause. When you begin pursuing something new or something unexpected, take a moment to hold it up next to who you are. Do they match? Do they clash? If you don’t take time to compare then you will never be sure you are aligning with the authentic you.
- Does it matter? In the big scheme of things, does it matter to your journey? There will be plenty of things you can do, and some of them you might even be good at doing, but you don’t want to expend all of your resources doing what you can to the point you have nothing left over for what you should.
- Define your reason behind your action. You need to know why you are doing what you are doing so you can determine if you need to be doing it. Sometimes you chase a squirrel down a rabbit hole because you need to catch it or you need to learn it’s trick so you can make it your own. Sometimes you chase a squirrel down a rabbit hole because it annoyed you. The reason makes a difference.
- Are you tangled in your fear factor? Or have you given any emotion control of the moment? Being authentically you can be hindered by emotions – especially those grown up in negatives. Test your heart to determine your driving force.
Be you. You are designed to be unique in all the world and there is nobody out there that can do you as well as you can. Of course, that means that you will be able to do anyone else as well as they can do they.
Be you. You are woven together with elements crafted specifically for your journey. Nobody else will ever match your design and nobody else will ever be able to walk your path. Of course, that means that you can’t follow the path that others have trodden. You will need to find your own way.
Be you. You have a different way of seeing, of doing, and of being that nobody else can replicate and sometimes nobody else can even understand. Of course, that means that you can’t rely on the way others see things. You can learn from others and you can listen to others but you have to choose to see things through your perspective.
Today is the day to step into your uniqueness with bold determination. Find one little bit of you to embrace and purpose and begin your journey to grow up in the authentic you.
Challenge for Intentional Actions
Becoming the Authentic You
Look in the mirror.
Judge your steps and your journey by that reflection.
You are designed to be you. If you judge your journey by another person’s steps then you will always struggle to measure up.
Quote of the Day
“Be authentically you. Some people won’t like you, but if you pretend to be something they will like then they don’t really like you anyway. They like the illusion of you. Dare to embrace the authentic you.” – Kathryn Lang
What Others Say
Exodus 31 – 33
1 Kings 9 – 12
Songs 1 – 2
Jeremiah 39 – 42
Psalm 131 – 135
“Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good. Sing praises to His name for His name is pleasant.” From Psalm 135:3
The simple truth for a life of peace and joy resides in praise. Praise God. Praise His name. Praise Him because He is good.
How can you praise God today?
Can real Church be ordinary or does it need to be something different to stand out from the world?
Join us over at the Practical Proverbs Facebook page for daily Scripture prompts and thoughts.
Bible Study and Journal
Your daily prompts and readings are now available in journal form.
Order from Amazon
Lend Your Support
Would you like to help? Please consider joining my Patreon team to offer support to the words I am sharing? Become a Patron!